Englisch Trainer aus Großbritannien in Wien
I'm from Bristol, England. Ideas and communication have always been close to my heart, and that's why I chose to study English Literature and Philosophy at university. I also spent 6 months living in the USA as part of an exchange program, which tells you all about my other passion, travel. After finishing university I started a job working in Sales, which took me to Dublin, Ireland, where I lived for over a year. That was back in 2006 and that's where I decided to start teaching English. It was a great way to combine my interests and to have a job that I love doing. I took some time to explore Brazil before settling down in Vienna, Austria and finding my role as an English trainer. I´ve been teaching for over a decade, building up experience and learning more about business and culture here, as well as meeting thousands of people seeking to improve their skills.
The goal for me whenever I'm teaching is to get the students to talk. It's about sharing ideas mainly. As a trainer, my role is to actively listen and then give feedback and instruction so that the students have the tools to improve. Setting goals, giving encouragement and helping with motivation all play an important part in our work as language trainers. In the end, it's a great job if you are a people person. It's great to see students improve over time so they have the confidence to speak English in any situation. At the end of the day, English is a global language and no matter where you go, you'll always have someone to talk to! It's essential for anyone seeking to join in with the global community.
MATTHEW WESTLAKE - CURRICULUM VITAE
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 2013 – 2015: University of Vienna
- Masters English Language and Linguistics. Incomplete due to work commitments.
- 2000 - 2003: Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, UK
- BA Combined Honours in Philosophy and English Literature: 2:1.
- Including one semester foreign exchange program at Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia, U.S.A.
- 1991 - 1998: Filton High School (Comprehensive), Filton, Bristol
- 10 GCSEs: Grades A-C.
- 4 week TEFL course. – Qualified to teach English as a foreign language at The Language Centre of Ireland, Dublin. Accredited by ACELS (governing body for EFL in Ireland) 25% Exam, 25% Portfolio, 50% Teaching Practice.
- • Freelance Legal and Business English Teacher in Vienna
- August 2007 – Present.
- Working with a range of top flight businesses and schools.
- Including seminars such as The Secretary Academy.
- • Hertha Firnberg Schulen für Wirtschaft und Tourismus
- Sept. 2008 – July 2011: Native Speaker Assistant Teacher
- Subjects including Politics, Philosophy, History, Business, Sales and Marketing, Art.
- • Centro Cultural Brasil-Estados Unidos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- March 2007 – May 2007: Volunteer English Language Teacher
- • Dublin. Gift Fundraising Ltd.
- Jan. 2006 – Nov. 2006: Deputy Manager
- Gift Fundraising Ltd. is an agency specifically hired to raise funds for international charities via face to face donor recruitment.
- Duties included sales, recruitment, advertising, training, payroll, rota, post, resolving disciplinary matters, site planning, team leading.
- • Dublin. Gift Fundraising Ltd.
- Oct. 2004 – Jan. 2006: Deputy Manager
INTERESTS AND LEISURE ACTIVITIES
I enjoy yoga, diving (PADI Advanced), jogging, swimming, football, dancing, wall climbing, squash, capoeira, aikido, scuba, writing, reading, travelling and playing music, particularly Samba and guitar.
Download my Curriculum Vitae: